A unique solution to wall decor!

Posted by Rita Johnson on April 17, 2012 0 Comments

On a recent project, we were faced with the challenge of bringing color, texture and interest into a formal living room space. The space that we were focusing on was a large wall space above two benches flanking the main entrance to the room. We researched many options and decided that an art installation would give us the effect that we were going for.


(The artwork flanking the door was a placeholder)

Now for the challenge…what do we put on the walls? When considering a wall installation, it is easy to default to the usual most often used option: framed artwork. Although framed photos or paintings can sometimes seem like a “no fail” option, we wanted something that was unique and that would also dial up the texture in the room.

So we looked to our usual go-to design vendors for inspiration, and we found many fantastic options! The Phillips Collection had some lovely abstract pieces that looked like they were made for this very project.

The problem? Lead time! The pieces we liked the most were not available for at least 10 weeks, and this was not a project that our client was willing to wait almost 3 months to complete! So, we all set out to find a local solution that would give us a similar effect, play well with the current décor in the space, and that was available within a more reasonable amount of time.

The winner was these lovely Magnolia-shaped ceramic plates from Arhaus. We bought just about everything they had in stock! On a weeknight when our client and her adorable (but very rambunctious)  kids were out, we set up shop and got to work on making these plates into a fabulous work of art.

http://www.arhaus.com/home-accents/accessories/wall/65360K0169/

http://www.arhaus.com/home-accents/accessories/wall/65360K0191/

The first step was to lay out all of the plates so that we knew what direction we wanted to go with the design. It was not as easy as it sounds! Our intern Danielle got us started by placing the plates on the floor in countless configurations until we found the one that would look the best.


The next step was to make sure that all of the plates had hooks on the back and that the hooks were sturdy and secure. We used copper picture hanging wire for this part. If you are doing this, be sure to not only tie the wire, but also wrap it around itself a few times to keep the ends from sticking out and to make it stronger. We don’t want any falling plates!

Once the plates were laid out and the hooks were in place, the real fun began! I’m not sure if you can detect a hint of sarcasm, but this part required a lot of patience (and more importantly a hammer, small nails, and a ladder). One by one we hung the plates, taking care each time to make sure each plate was in the right spot. When doing this part it is important to take into account the type of wall you have and the weight of each plate. Luckily for us, the plates were pretty lightweight, and the wall was drywall. I wouldn’t recommend this project on a concrete/brick wall, and with heavier plates I’d suggest using wall anchors or heavy-duty frame hooks.


For this step, we kept the plates on the wall as we went along to make sure that the placement of each plate was just right. It was important to us to keep the design organic, so we did not want the plates to look to symmetrical or evenly-spaced.

A couple hours later, this is what our final product looked like!

 

This just goes to show you what you can do when you think outside of the box and apply a traditional décor element in a nontraditional way! The most important part: our client was overjoyed with the result!

 

 

Previous Post Next Post

Comments (0 Comments)

There are no comments.

Post Comment




Recent Blog Posts

Blog Tags